Sunday, November 2, 2008

Halloween Magic

Brian mentioned yesterday how relieved he was that October is now over. With a bit of an unpredictable travel schedule for work nowadays, he successfully navigated the numerous October events--Ella's and my birthdays, our wedding anniversary and Halloween. It is a bit of a demanding month for him, it's true. In fact, he has designated October as "Jana's" month because it is really about me. I am a little disappointed to see October end--I love the fall and the aforementioned holidays.

With the combination of a school parade, party, after-school playdate and Trick-or-Treating, it was a non-stop day of fun for Ella. The Dads on our block took the 5-year old age group trick-or-treating. Ella was delighted to go with her friends and Samantha took it all in from her stroller. When I asked a neighbor several days ago how many kids tend to come through our block, she said, "oh, not that many" since there is a particular block that tends to attract most of the traffic. However, I'm guessing we had at least 70 kids come to our door--that sure seemed like a lot to me. The neighborhood was swarming with kids--it was truly a sight to behold. I do love getting the kids ready and sending them out the door--they are SO excited:

Samantha antsy to get out there with the big kids:
Congregating in front of our house:
In action:

Given that this was our first Halloween in our new neighborhood a few funny things struck us:

1) I happened to have a bunch of festive pencils in my bowl of candy--I allowed each kid to pick out two treats. And I was surprised how quickly the pencils were taken. When I commented to one of the kids my amazement at how much they liked the pencils, he said, "well, we need them for school." My heart swelled with pride that the kids were opting for the pencils over candy.

2) We need to remember the houses next year who pass out money instead of candy.

3) The highlight of the neighborhood is a couple of houses two blocks up from us. Rumor has it that one of the home owners is involved in the movie production business and has access to some "special" effects. Brian snapped several pictures of the kids in front--and really the pictures don't do it justice. The whole scene involved two real, MONSTER trucks parked on lawn (Ella and I drove by on the day they were delivered to his house--very strange), lots of lights and music, and random decorations. This block has been deemed "Ground Zero" by the neighborhood and most everyone congregates there. It seemed that many people even drive in to witness the spectacle. It is impressive. I do love the holiday, but I have to wonder about those who take it to that extreme...

You'll see the monster truck parked on the lawn better, if you blow this picture up:
And the highlight of the evening was trick-or-treating at Grandma and Grandpa's house in Kensington. Grandma was at a football game at her school so Ella was greeted by Grandpa, Grandma Spring and Miriam (Samantha was sound asleep in bed). It's pretty special to get to knock on your Grandparents' door on Halloween.
Another Halloween success on the record. I'll wait patiently for the next one.

1 comment:

Denise said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.