Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Mother of Mothers' Days

Happy Mothers’ Day to all you wonderful women in my life. It’s been a great day here in Silver Spring, despite the constant rain. The day started off with a lovely morning at church. Perhaps partly because Brian’s parents who are in town stayed home with Samantha. It made us realize what a breeze church is with one kid. The children sang to the Moms, we took home several flowers to plant in our front yard and everyone wished each other Happy Mother’s Day like it was Christmas.

When we returned home, I got over an hour nap and dinner was painstakingly prepared by Brian, Gary and Russell. It truly was scrumptious and I think their biggest mistake was making it so yummy—they’re definitely on the hook every year now. And look who else I got to spend Mother’s Day with—not very many people get to be with their Mom, Mother-in-Law and Grandma. What stellar women I’m related to.

A highlight was definitely my new iPod from Brian (thanks, babe!), just the kind of incentive I needed to up my running. Ella gave me an arm band for it and a new spiral notebook…I will explain. Ella is my kind of girl—she catalogues in her head all the things I say I need. When our car was broken into a few weeks ago, a very large bottle of water with a loose cap was knocked over, soaking a notebook I had in the car. Ella asked several days later where it was and I explained. So she tucked away in her little brain that she needed to get me a new notebook. (I just need to get a little smarter and make some comments about the new diamond earrings or camera equipment I need.)
And the most classic thing was the talking My Little Pony card Ella picked out for me. She was so pleased with that card--I thought she was going to pee her pants laughing when I opened it. We got such a kick out of her getting a kick out of it. And then as we tucked her into bed tonight, I told her what a special day I had and how much I appreciated all she did for me. In response, she says “Mom, tomorrow is not Mother’s Day. So don’t expect anything else.” Thanks, Ella.


4 comments:

Denise said...

wow, sounds like you had a great day! You are a great mommy!

holly b said...

love the title and pictures. Ella is such a cute girl, sharp as a tack and cute as a button. how fun for her to get in the spirit of it. have fun with your new ipod! is it the video nano?

Rachael said...

Oh, that Ella...that's cute.

Annee said...

I love seeing the picture of your mom. I probably haven't seen her for ten years or something?! She looks the same. And you had a wonderful mother's day. I'm happy to hear about the running endeavors. I too find an ipod to be an essential running companion. Maybe we'll meet up at a race someday!