Wednesday, May 7, 2008

In The Name Of Motherhood...

Brian was telling me today about a book he was flipping through in a book store with a title along the lines of “Confessions of a Mother” (he can’t remember the exact title). It’s apparently a compilation of stories/experiences of real mothers, describing crazy things they’ve done in the name of motherhood. And how even though we all do eyebrow raising things, we don’t usually disclose it. I am so grateful for women in my life who remind me that some of the extreme measures we take as mothers are not only normal, but expected. I remember Rachael once telling me how the true purpose of tinted windows on a van is so that no one can see the children you illegally left in the car while you ran into the store. And my sister who did leave the children in the car at the airport and was seriously chastised by airport security (she apparently needs tinted windows). Others who have fed their kids chocolate cake for breakfast and some who discovered at the shoe store the reason her kid kept tripping over her feet was because the shoes were two sizes too small.

I am reminded of a fabulous essay by Anna Quindlen on motherhood. One favorite part is:

Every part of raising children is humbling, too. Believe me, mistakes were made.
They have all been enshrined in the Remember-When-Mom-Did-Hall-of-Fame. The outbursts, the temper tantrums, the bad language, mine, not theirs. The times
the baby fell off the bed. The times I arrived late for preschool pickup. The
nightmare sleepover. The horrible summer camp. The day when the youngest came barreling out of the classroom with a 98 on her geography test, and I responded, "What did you get wrong?" (She insisted I included that.) The time I ordered food at the McDonald's drive-through speaker and then drove away without picking it up from the window. (They all insisted I included that.) I did not allow them to watch the Simpsons for the first two seasons. What was I thinking?



This always makes me laugh and gets me thinking about how many of these things I’ve done (why does the baby have to fall off the bed before you stop leaving her there unattended?) and all the things I’ve done in addition: The hiding in the closet to talk on the phone, small acts of deception (McDonald’s is known in our house as the ice cream store—a perk of raising vegetarian kids) and very loose adult supervision because I can’t put down a good book. And then there's the replay feature I’ve used on Baby Einstein to meet a work deadline, only to later lock the French doors on the office with Ella pounding on the glass. The countless food bribes and urgent potty breaks in some creative places. For those who say you have no little secrets, I don't believe you. You wouldn't survive the job if you didn't. So I ask you…what are your secrets? What crazy things have you done in the name of motherhood?

10 comments:

ken said...

Wow-- you really are a creative and entertaining writer, and a VERY good mom. I'm taking notes... such cute things you do with your girl! Want to run soon before that house sells?

Denise said...

1. Jackson fell of the couch the second day he was home from the hospital. I called my mom crying at 2 am because I wanted to take him to the hospital but thought that they would take him away because I was a neglectful parent.

2. As punishment, forcing my child to address me as Your Most Beautiful Royal Highness for the rest of the day.

Need I go on?

(Go to my blog and check out Mandy's link, she has the best story about this called Mother of the Year)

Rachael said...

Can I post anonymously?

Rachael said...

So, this gave me a chuckle - what a great post. And, btw, if THAT is all you have to your bad mommy moments? Those are lucky kids. Here are three relatively light-weight bad mom 'habits': my kids listen to some rap music and are well-acquainted with Justin Timberlake...they eat corndogs on occasion when Jon is out of town...I've put my then 18 month old in the corner for hitting.

Jana said...

These are so great you guys. I am curious, Denise, how does a 2-day old fall off a couch? I know Jackson is athletic, but he could already roll???
Rachael, if you had posted anonymously, I would have totally known it was you. Justin Timberlake would have given it away.
And Kristen--I'll e-mail you about a run--I need some encouragement.

Denise said...

I didn't think a newborn could roll either. I swear I put him all the way back on the couch and he was swaddled!!! I don't know how it happened.

holly b said...

Oh, so many. I've been thinking about this since last night. The one that came to mind first is "Backyard Dress Code" or lack there of. Now that we have our 6ft privacy fence up, no one can see that it's almost noon and my 2yo still has his PJ's and night time diaper on. Or the fact that pants are often optional.

My children rarely wear shoes outside. Not that I don't encourage it, they simply refuse. It baffles me.

I try to keep a clean house, but it's not anything I lose sleep over. (That's what reading and late night blogging are for.) I do scan the floor several times a day for choking hazards since my 7mo started crawling. But my definition of "choking hazard" is drastically relaxed from my first-born. (Don't even ask how often her pacifiers do or don't get washed.) Let's just say there are some mornings she doesn't get her snack from her high chair tray.

I've become much more permissive with snacks, especially when I'm "in the middle of something." I think yesterday my older two ate 5 packages of fruit snacks, EACH!

Okay, enough sharing. Great post Jana. :)

Emily Warner Eskelsen said...

It's the lying to my kids that I'm personally pretty embarrassed about. Like they think that you have to have a different kind of money to go inside at McDonalds, and I usually just have the outside kind. I've got a shockingly long list of those-- and it's the thing I found most unjustifiable in my own mother, so go figure.

Jana said...

Hi Emily! I have to say I like the "different types of money" approach-- I'm with you on the element of guilt, but isn't this one case where the ends justify the means? I mean, think of the arguments you avoid--I think it probably leads to greater peace and tranquility. And quite frankly, that's priceless.

rick and cheryl said...

Hey Jana. Long time no see. I found your blog from Michelle's. Great post! I can't even begin to describe the things we do in the good name of motherhood. But, at the end of the day if we can all go to bed somewhat smiling-or at least giggling at the silly things...we're doing okay. Your girls are adorable.