Thursday, October 9, 2008

A Five-Year Lesson

The other day I was at my parents’ home in Kensington, looking at a large family picture consisting of my parents, their seven children along with accompanying spouses and children. The picture was taken 7 years ago, following my Grandfather’s funeral in Bountiful, Utah. Recognizing that Ella and Samantha were not with us in the picture, I thought for a split second, “wonder what we did with our kids that day—who was watching them?” Obviously, it didn’t take long for it to occur to me that that photo was taken before Ella and Samantha were born. After that fleeting thought, I realized that although Brian and I have only been parenting for five years, it seems so strange to think of life before them. Rearing children is such an intense experience that our minds become cemented around our time with them, blurring earlier parts of our lives.

When Ella was first born, we of course received a number of heartfelt gifts and cards to welcome our new daughter. My Grandpa Munk, my stepdad’s father in Montpelier, Idaho, who has since passed away, sent us a sweet, two-sided, hand-written letter. I don’t think I’ve read the letter since that time, but I clearly remember his congratulations and his remark that “now your life has really begun.” I didn’t really know how that could be the case at the time. All I knew then was sleep in two-hour increments, sore breasts and black stretch pants. It sure didn’t feel like a new beginning to me.

And yesterday as we celebrated Ella’s fifth birthday, I saw the wisdom in his remark. I glow with pride over this happy, smart, witty, five year old. And Ella herself is only a piece of the new life of which my Grandfather spoke. I now know what it means to truly sacrifice for others—my children and my husband. I know how rearing children makes you fall in love with your spouse in a whole new way. And I know what it means to work hard every day alongside your spouse for a greater good—an eternal family. So I guess you could say I get it now. Or at least that’s what I’ve picked up so far.


That said—here is stage 1 of the 5-year old’s birthday celebration. Stage 2 comes on Saturday when she has her party with her friends (wich is really what she’s been anticipating).

1- Permission was granted for her to open her sweet birthday package from Grandma and Grandpa Bowcut first thing in the morning. With two new cute dresses included, it sure made her decision of what to wear for the day easy.



2- Heart-shaped waffles before school


3- Sporting a crown and birthday vest all day at school (supplied by her teacher).

4- Enjoying ice cream sandwiches with her classmates and passing out party favors.


5- Dinner and birthday celebration with Grandma and Grandpa Munk, Great-Grandma Spring and Aunt Miriam.



There would have been a picture of a very exhausted Mom, but I was too exhausted. Happy Birthday, Ella Bella. You are a true joy.

2 comments:

hdknowles said...

Please tell Ella Happy Birthday from me. She is a delightfully charming little girl and I miss her in my CTR class. How lucky you are to have such a sweet spirit in your family.

Denise said...

Oh, that made me cry. It is so true. Happy Birthday, Ella.