The party is officially over. I think we have adequately celebrated Ella turning 5. Saturday we had beautiful weather and entertained 12 children for two hours in Halloween costumes. I think I would have cried if it had rained and we had been confined indoors.
After yesterday's festivities, I decided there are two things only required for a successful party. The decorations don't matter. The games don't matter. The crafts don't matter. In fact my not-so-brilliant find-the-spider activity of following yarn strung around bushes, around trees fell apart. Kids were in tears, frustrated, wandering aimlessly around the yard, tied up in knots.

Next year, we're streamlining. Simplifying. Major party overhaul. The two things that seemed to work well this year:
Playing on the play set
And birthday cake

That's all we're doing next year. Two things. Live and learn.
3 comments:
That's too bad, because I think I would have fallen for thinking the yarn around the yard game sounded totally fun too. I'm sorry it didn't work. But I'm happy that you learned a valuable lesson. The party kids look like they had fun. Good job! I'm honored to share Ella's b-day.
Happy birthday to Ella.
Jana,
It was a great party!!! I enjoyed the "find the spider game." The kids had a great time. I don't even remember anyone crying, that has to be a first for any birthday party. Jenn
Post a Comment