Monday, September 1, 2008

Not Working Day

Props to the Central Labor Union of New York City in 1882 for proposing Labor Day. No, I didn't really know that--I had to look it up. But still, it's a great idea. I mean everyone needs a holiday to celebrate their hard work by not working, right? "Not Working Day" sounds more appropriate, I think.

Our celebrations included:
The Kensington Labor Day Parade: It's been almost 2 decades since I've actually gone. But I love that K-town puts this on every year; it really is a fun event. Ella dove for candy, and slurped a slurpee while Samantha waved to the fire trucks. I was disappointed in the candidates running for office who put stickers on the kids. Fortunately the girls were sporting stickers for a candidate I supported, but still, it's a lame way of campaigning.




Cleaning out the screened porch--it was where we dumped everything outdoor/home improvement related when we moved and today we finally started to excavate.

Ella broke in the new Bowcut family playset. It rocks.


And then I tried a new recipe, which Brian and I thought was scrumptious. Burgers on Labor Day are pretty typical, but this is a new twist. I made the Turkey burgers for Brian, but substituted veggie burgers for me and the girls. The tomato jam and feta on top are what make the burger for sure! (I also left out the olives--I can't stand them.) An easy dinner idea, but it does take the tomato jam longer than 10 minutes to reduce, so it's wise to start that first!

Alas, the end of summer is upon us. And I'm glad. The beginning of the school year seems to be a fresh start in some ways. A new routine, new goals and activities. I know we haven't yet begun "real school"--we venture into pre-K this week. But still, it's a big deal to Ella and each year of pre-school has brought tremendous growth and change to her. She told me today that her friend Joe, who just started Kindergarten this past week, told her the first rule of being a Kindergartener. "You have to stay at your desk and you can't just get up and dance around whenever you want." Sounds like waiting till next year for Kindergarten was a good move.

2 comments:

Denise said...

Thanks for that trivia. When I explained to Jackson that it was a holiday, I had a hard time with any more info that the fact that Daddy was off and that I would let him eat junk food without saying no.

I would've ripped those political stickers off! Someone at church put buttons on all of my sunbeams one year and I was not very happy!

holly b said...

Long live Labor Day! I kept telling E that it was a day where people who work all the time don't have to. or something like that.

that is cute about the kindergarten "rules". one more year with her mommy and little sister sounds like a very good thing!