Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Haircut that Changed Everything

It’s been one of those days—rainy outside, a lack of energy (my own fault since I stayed up late painting) and very little patience for: entertaining kids, the crying and screaming from minor injuries, rejecting food, and incessant questions while trying to get out the door. “One more week until school”, I kept mumbling. So we had to get out of the house. Ella’s haircut was on the list of things to do before school starts, and so we tacked it onto a couple of other errands we needed to run. So we get to the salon and Ella skips happily to the chair…she loves a good haircut. With Samantha parked in the stroller, I took the seat next to Ella to oversee the process. A lady, spotting Samantha in the stroller, came up next to us and says, “Look at that little beauty.” And then she notices Ella and says, “Oh, you have two little beauties.” To which I respond, “I sure do.” As she starts to walk away, she mumbles, “not surprising…look at the mom.” There I was, sitting in my jeans and flip flops, with my hair in a ponytail, no make-up, no jewelry, feeling so annoyed with the day, and in a matter of 20 seconds, this woman had totally turned my day around. Thank you, whoever you were, for making me feel like a million bucks on a gloomy day. And Ella's new little bob is darling, too.

And PS—Ella asked that I put up the following pictures of her neighbor friends. It’s been like one big party these past few weeks—running back and forth from house to house, riding bikes, jumping on the trampoline, water gun fights, playing tag, and then absolutely crashing at night. I just hope they don't get sick of each other.














2 comments:

Denise said...

First of all, you are gorgeous. And, secondly, PLEASE enjoy those neighbors. That is really one of the things that I miss the most about our old house. Jackson and Jr. used to have a blast for hours every day. Now, we don't have a Jr. near us and it is really sad. Enjoy, it's the best.

holly b said...

what a nice complement to overhear! how happy to have a gang of neighborhood kids. that is worth it all for sure. :)