This past weekend Ella (and I) attended the 40th Annual
SAGWA Violin Festival at the recommendation of her teacher. She attended classes on Saturday and then performed in the concert on Sunday. She got to perform in the beautiful Strathmore Music Center and played with about 500 other violinists. It was kind of cool.
(You can see her better if you enlarge the pics--she's towards the front in the green dress.)


But the coolness was outweighed by how lllllllooooooonnnnnngggggg the concert was. I almost stood up in my seat and screamed at the top of my lungs in front of the thousand people in attendance:
STOP THE MADNESS. WHY ARE WE MAKING OUR CHILDREN SIT HERE FOR THREE AND A HALF HOURS??? AND EXPECT THEM TO BE WELL-BEHAVED? WE ARE TAKING THE FUN OUT OF MUSIC. I couldn't even sit there well-behaved.
Thank goodness I brought books for me and Ella to read. I texted. I sneaked snacks. I took my shoes off. Ella kept puffing her chest out, and fake singing with the music, pretending to be an opera singer. And Ella kept poking Booker, the boy next to her (whose name we practiced saying many times last year, because Ella kept pronouncing it "Booger".) We left and returned to our seats in what I now realize was all the wrong places in the concert.
Our concert etiquette was so unrefined. You'd never know I was an Oberlin grad.
I did not care.
Thank goodness my daughter still wants to play the violin after that painful, Sunday afternoon.

However, Ella did great in both her classes and concert. She is progressing beautifully and I'm proud of how far she has come in just a year and a half.

But let me give you a glimpse into what our daily practices entail. Picture keeping a 6.5-year old on task throughout a 30-minute practice each day.
Now picture keeping her on task with a maniac 2.5 year old having meltdowns and running around:
3 comments:
What did I get out of those pictures? We really do have the same couch. That is it, the pictures look oh, so familiar. Switch out the violin for a book or spelling words and it is my house.
I wish you had screamed at the concert. We have 3 hour baseball practices and they are 3 times a week! Are you kidding me? None of the kids can even catch the ball. We aren't doing that next year because I really don't care about baseball. However, the violin is probably worth the trouble. You might want to sneak out early next year...and leave the little ones at home.
So I wonder if this brings back memories for Denise as she played violin. The pictures are great and it's such a great skill for Ella. I hope she keeps it up.
wow. that's just about all I can say. wow. (ever read Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse?) I think I would've screamed too.
Post a Comment