Saturday, November 7, 2009

October Happened

How is it possible that the first week of November is over and I haven’t done a late-October post? October is my big month! My favorite month! Time continues to escape me.
First of all, it must be noted that I’m now officially well into my 30’s. 32 to be exact. 30 and 31 are sort of dipping your toe into the decade. But 32—I’m swimming in it now. I'm glad I have an older husband to always help me feel young. :) Brian always wipes his brow the day after my birthday, given that he has Ella’s birthday, our anniversary and my birthday all packaged into October.
We had a lovely celebration the day prior, which most importantly involved Brian cooking and not me. My mom provided a delectable chocolate cake with ganache frosting and a heath bar middle. Truly rich and indulgent. In the last couple of years much of her cooking now comes from Bon Appetit, and we often benefit greatly from this little hobby. She brought her masterpiece, along with a bag of candy pumpkins (a traditional accessory on all my birthday cakes) and asked if I REALLY wanted the pumpkins on it. In other words, was I going to insist on corrupting a gourmet cake with those pumpkins?

Absolutely.


I was spoiled with my token jewelry from Ella, a new book, gift certificate for new clothes post-baby and a certificate for a 60-minute pre-natal massage from my Mom—my Exponent friend Jonette is a CMT and has magic hands. I can’t wait. Oh, and the cute fall placemats on the table are from my mother-in-law—she knows I heart fall.


And then dinner out on my actual day with with kids, was a bit painful and did not win any awards for children’s best behavior. But again, another evening without cooking is always welcome.



In other October News…
Samantha has decided that butter knives are the answer to most of life’s problems. She pulls them out of the drawer to attempt to open toy kitchen food, cut real food and pry open drawers. It’s rather amusing.

Ella completed her first ever soccer season. Once we established that the object of the game was to get the ball between the two red flags and not simply to get it out of bounds, she improved tremendously.



We apparently need to work with Samantha on sideline cheerleading techniques.


The medal placed around her neck was as good as gold. She was so proud of herself and is looking forward to spring soccer!



Halloween is always multi-eventful. I’m glad the girls get multiple opportunities to show off their costumes, but I’m always a little partied out by the end of the month.

Festivities included:
The Pumpkin Selection


Pumpkin Carving

Which somehow induces a great deal of silly-ness.

And Samantha, who really will try anything. At least she knows now that raw pumpkin guts are not her thing.



Our ward Halloween party (unfortunately, for the second year in a row held in our church because the farm was rained out). Samantha outright refused to wear her witch costume, but I talked her into a Halloween shirt and headband.

Ella working on the pinata, which proved to be both child and adult-proof.

Elementary School Party and Parade

Costume clarification: after purchasing Ella's fairy costume, I was informed that she was to be a RAINBOW fairy. Brian bought her rainbow wings when they were out shopping one day, but given that I was short on time and creativity, a rainbow sash tied around her middle seemed to fit the bill.)

Trick-or-Treating (post-party at our neighbor’s)


Samantha enjoyed feeding Carri her candy as much as eating it herself. Carri also made me watch the Nicholas Cage movie, "Knowing", which was way freakier than I had bargained for. I now "know" it was beyond my thrill threshold.


And fortunately, Ella has since given up the routine of sorting her candy on a daily basis (the Harry Potter cape somehow makes it more festive).


October has now been documented to the best of my ability. We'll see how November goes...

3 comments:

AP said...

happy (late) birthday jana! 32... i'll hit that in a few more weeks. time really does fly. you've got some cute kids! take care.

Denise said...

Isn't it exhausting? But SO much fun!

Cordell and Sarah said...

Happy Birthday Jana! You guys are so cute. We miss seeing you. Hope the big 32 treats you well!