Saturday, February 21, 2009

All Systems Ready

Exactly one month from today I will be running a half-marathon.

And I am right on track.

Laura, Jackie and I ran 8 miles today. It was cold and I learned to suck down runner’s goo (thoroughly disgusting, but invigorating.)

I have properly fitted running shoes. I was informed by the sales associate that my foot measures one size bigger than it did before I had Samantha. AND, in addition, being that I’m somewhat of a rookie runner, I learned to wear shoes 1 to 1.5 sizes bigger than my regular size to accommodate swelling feet and prevent black toenails and blisters. Who knew? So after being informed that I needed shoes 2 sizes larger than what I was expecting, my jaw dropped, and I exclaimed, “do you even make them that big”??? Ha.

I am working hard to reduce the treats in my life. I relapsed somewhat over Valentine’s Day weekend...okay, and my Mom's birthday, but how can you resist this blueberry-lemon cake with lemon cream cheese frosting I made for her? So scrumptious, I keep salivating for the blueberry-lemon combo in my dreams. I think I'll make myself one after the half-marathon. If you know what's good for you, you'll try it.


My thyroid condition has been cleared. So glad I experienced radioactivity for the fun of it.

I brushed off the old college hightops (knew they'd come in handy again), and play basketball on Wednesday nights. Good speed training. We won’t talk about our record, but my skills are all coming back to me.


4 weeks to go.
I’ll be ready.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

You are so impressive. I think I'd rather die a slow death. I wish I liked it like you.

Torrie and Cassidy said...

you'll do great! I ran a marathon back in august, and it was definitely challenging, but still one of the best things I've ever done.

Denise said...

I'm so impressed. You'll do great.

Kristen Parnell said...

That's awesome! Wish I could join... Maybe I could be ready for St. George??