Thursday, June 19, 2008

Moving On...

Given our history, I didn't want to jinx it... so I didn't post it until it was a sure thing.

I suppose it can't totally be a sure thing until closing next week, but everything is in line...contract is signed, home inspection, appraisal, everything is done. This whole process didn't go as swimmingly as the first time in February, but given the current market, we are grateful that the house is sold and we can move on.

So the Bowcuts are off to Bethesda, only a 8 mile journey. We look forward to a new neighborhood, new parks, a new ward (church congregation), and hopefully (with both my fingers and toes crossed) lots of little girls to play with in our neighborhood. And we're close enough that we can still frequent our favorite Silver Spring spots with our favorite Silver Spring/College Park people.

Given that we've been in such limbo over the past few months, it's been difficult to get excited or to start planning for our new house. But now that the weight has been lifted of selling our house, we are eager to roll up our sleeves and get to work. There will be much to tell regarding our decorating debacles, but in the meantime, here are some pictures to give you a sense of what we'll be working with.

My Real Simple arrived just in the nick of time--they have a section devoted to making outdated bathrooms livable without major renovation.

This is the future playroom in the basement--also sporting that gold-foil, Santa Fe inspired wallpaper. As an added bonus, apparently there are several more layers of equally attractive wallpaper hidden underneath!
Most of the house is actually mercifully neutral, but these are definitely the rooms that make our house unique. It might not be for awhile, but we'll post some pictures of the transformation in the future.

4 comments:

Denise said...

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS DECENT AND BEAUTIFUL! You have your work cut out for you. Of course, it wouldn't surprise me if you can't get it done for a long time with Samantha and all. Congrats on the sale, though!

Jana said...

Thank you, Denise for being my most loyal commenter. I keep having conversations with friends and siblings and they mention..."oh yeah, I saw that on your blog." I know there are loyal readers out there. But really, where is the love?

By the way, aren't you coming back to town soon?

Annee said...

I'm so sorry about all the wall paper. But I'm really excited about how dramatic the "before" and "after" pictures will be.

holly b said...

congrats on the sale! wow, that house has some projects in store. why would L&F show those bathroom photos online?? I'd hide those for sure and only let them be known on a walk through. :] yikes!

I'll have to check out that book. Our two bathrooms need some help, too. Fortunately I think the previous owners removed the old paper, but the sink/vanities and lack of medicine cabinet/behind the mirror storage need to be addressed at some point.

can't wait to see the projects in store!

oh, sorry about the lack of comments. I've gotten waaaay behind in the blogosphere and am trying to play catchup!